Monday, June 23, 2008

Dating Lois Lane

Somebody once said that the secret to complimenting women is this: beautiful women want to be told they're smart, smart women want to be told they're beautiful. Simple enough. The conundrum for me, if you could call it that, is that my baby has got the beauty and the brains happening in equal measure. And I don't know which is hotter.

Lately, I've had the pleasure of watching her take on a new position as a reporter for a local newspaper conglomorate, covering the beat of an entire city all by herself and just freaking nailing the job. It makes me proud on many kinds of levels; I get to see her honesty, her drive, her curiosity and her high personal standards at work on a daily basis. It's like dating Lois Lane, though that in no way is meant to imply I'm Superman (although I just had my vision tested and I'm freakishly between 20/15 and 20/10. The nurse looked half-scared when I slam-dunked the smallest lines on their eye chart and said, "That's, like, x-ray vision or something!").

Last week it was cool to be behind the scenes as Kirsten scrambled to cover the breaking story of a 1979 robbery-homicide case which had gone cold, and that was reopened and solved by an industrious local detective.

These guys are alleged to have held up a grocery store and, when the night supervisor was unable to open the safe, shot him in the head and left. Looking at their scary-ass mugshots, the most baffling part for me is how, after 29 years during which they lost contact with each other, it appears they were both arrested while showering.



No comments: