Monday, November 3, 2008

Bananas for Monkita

I feel that Kirst has turned a bit of a corner recently with her knitting designs. I was into the coffee cozies and scarflettes she was making last year, but I think I like the new designs she's been improvising lately even more. And it really has been improvisation, fueled by the pressure of deadline: she got a table at the Detroit Urban Craft Fair, which takes place in less than two weeks. Since she's spent most of the summer crafting a never-ending string of baby blankets (the most time-intensive thing she makes) for all her fertile friends, she didn't have much opportunity to stock up for the fair. So she's been knitting-manic lately and it seems that every time I glance over from our Project Runway marathon she's come up with a new shape, or a new pattern.

First there were the new scarflette color schemes:



Followed by this new kind of seam thing she started knitting into her long scarves:


And then there was the long cowl, which you can wrap up several times into different shapes:

And the shorter cowl, which is in the form of a tube which you just slide down over your head:


You can check out her shop, La Femme Monkita, here. And the Detroit Urban Craft Fair takes place at the Fillmore Detroit (old State Theater) on Saturday, Nov. 15.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is no doubt about it...Kirst is one of the most talented and hard-working individuals I know. I am proud of your accomplishments.
Love, MD

erinbrain said...

I want it all